| DIFFICULTY Easy | PREP TIME Under 30 Min. | COOK TIME Under 2 Hrs. | SERVES 8 |
This dessert is an excellent alternative to the traditional Christmas pudding, made with poached pears, warming spices and a good amount of fresh ginger.
For this recipe, you'll need a Le Creuset Stoneware 32cm Heritage Rectangular Dish
For the poached pears:
- 8 medium pears, under-ripe, stalk kept on, peeled
- 330g soft brown sugar
- 1.5L water
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped and pod set aside
- 5cm fresh ginger cut in half
- 1 lemon
For the pudding:
- 12 large free-range eggs
- 330g caster sugar
- 360g almond flour
- 400g double cream plain yogurt
- 2 tsp or 10ml baking powder
- 70g corn flour
- 2 tsp or ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp or ground ginger
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Fresh vanilla bean custard, to serve
- Core the pears from the bottom using a melon baller or a small sharp knife. Place them in a bowl of water with the juice of half a lemon while you prepare the poaching liquid - this keeps the pears from discolouring.
- Place the water, sugar, ginger, cinnamon quill, remaining lemon, and vanilla pod in a Le Creuset 24cm Deep Casserole and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Fully submerge the pears in the liquid and poach for 20 minutes. Remove and place them into iced lemon water immediately to stop the cooking process and prevent discolouring.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C oven fan.
- Grease a Le Creuset 32cm Heritage Rectangular Dish with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, reserved vanilla seeds, and sugar until well combined.
- Sift the corn flour, spices, baking powder, and almond flour making sure there are no lumps. Whisk the dry ingredients until well-combined well. Fold the yoghurt into the eggs and sugar until combined and then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Arrange the poached pears in the rectangular dish, pour the batter over the pears, and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pudding to cool slightly. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with custard.